OEDIPUS.
“O god- / all come true, all burst to light!
O light- now let me look at my last on you!
I stand revealed at last-
cursed in my birth, cursed in marriage,
cursed in the lives I cut down with these hands!”
(1305-1310)
Analysis
Light is used as a reference to eyes or seeing. For an example when something comes to light you see the true meaning or something for what it really is, Oedipus says “burst to light!” In the next line Oedipus also says “look at my last on you” is foreseeing that he will soon blind himself because he will have his “last look”. He already has an idea forming in his head at least subconsciously that he will blind himself.
Response
I cringe when there is a reference to eyes or light. I cringe because of light because it is associated with seeing. The last line made me imagine him getting ready to slice his eyes. I felt pity for Oedipus but he should have been more aware that this was a possibility. If he firmly believed in the gods and the Oracle then he should have took the Oracles word more seriously instead of jumping to the conclusion someone was trying to ruin him.
The image shows light and how closely associated it is with the eye.

No comments:
Post a Comment