CHORUS.
“I pity you but I can’t bear to look,
I’ve much to ask, so much to learn,
so much fascinates my eyes,
but you … I shudder at the sight.”(1439-1442)
Analysis
The chorus seems to be mocking Oedipus about his sight. They keep talking about “looking’, “eyes” , and mention “sight” as well. The last line of “I shudder at the sight “ The chorus also clearly shows that the society does not condone incest and considers it a deep sin. “I shudder at the sight.” shows how deeply it is forbidden in this society because a shudder is an involuntarily action.
ResponseI feel bad for Oedipus because he is now considered a reject of society. I feel sympathy for him
because he will have to live the rest of his life pained and he will only be thinking about what he has
done. It's a terrible feeling to feel like you do not belong.
No comments:
Post a Comment