MESSENGER.
“ ‘You shall see no more of the pain I suffered, all the pain I caused! Too long you looked on the ones you never should have seen,
blind to the ones you longed to see, to know! Blind
from this hour on! Blind in the darkness- blind!’ " (1405-1409)
Analysis
Oedipus is so upset after he finally sees the truth so he gouges out his eyes. “Blind from this hour on.” This part also seems to show the messenger’s sake because if someone just gouged out their eyes they would not be saying all of this… They would be screaming in pain. “Blind” is used in every sentence to emphasize.the importance of this event. In line 1408 it is also interesting to point out that "Blind" is starting the next line but is placed on a separate line. Emphasis is shown because lines 1408-1409 blind is stressed two times in both of these lines.
Response
Oh, Why not join Jocasta,
in the grave? Why blind yourself instead?
So stupid of you. Blind
Oedipus should have just joined Jocasta in the grave. If he really wanted to punish himself. I personally feel like blinding yourself instead of giving up your life is not fair. Oedipus is a weak character because he chose to blame Creon and said Creon was trying to ruin him. If he had considered what the Oracle said he would have more time to process the information and perhaps hew would have handled the situation better.
in the grave? Why blind yourself instead?
So stupid of you. Blind
Oedipus should have just joined Jocasta in the grave. If he really wanted to punish himself. I personally feel like blinding yourself instead of giving up your life is not fair. Oedipus is a weak character because he chose to blame Creon and said Creon was trying to ruin him. If he had considered what the Oracle said he would have more time to process the information and perhaps hew would have handled the situation better.
Striking poem. Worth considering in connection to Oedipus's response to the Chorus:
ReplyDeleteWhat I did was best—don't lecture me,
................................................
how could I look into my father's eyes
when I go down to death?" (1499-1502)